Thursday, September 17, 2009

In yesterdays morning class we were shown a basic sweep from full butterfly guard when sitting up, then a flow on to counter if your opponent post on a leg and hand from the first sweep attempt. You got to love the flows and the limitless options jiu jitsu gives you. I don't know much at the moment, but starting from the bottom I can only grow >:D.

I went to the late evening class 8-9:30pm but it was only myself, the instructor and a purple belt (Thiago) that speaks good english. I rolled with our instructor first and he was being sooo nice and gentle giving me so much space, you could park a truck in it, but he was still all over me setting up submissions then changing to a different position only to set up another submission. I was like a deer in headlights, I could see or feel it coming but was powerless to the inevitable. After that Thiago and the instructor rolled and I saw how nice the instructor was going on me by how hard he and Thiago were rolling.

After Thiago and I rolled where once again I was dominated. But he really helped and showed me some defences to all the submissions he got me with, or reversals. He was also happily showed me some basic defence moves when someone's got your back with hooks in and explained the reason behind each action, which really helps when learning.

Today's morning session consisted of sweeps from the spider guard, starting from a basic position then a flow on and sweep to counter the opponents moves. We also did more spider guard stuff tonight and the instructor was showing/telling us how it was a great position for when you're very tired because once you got one arm hooked and your shin across their belly they could pass the guard to that side but you have a "second chance" to regain the guard. I really should bring a camera down and take some video of these techniques, which would really compliment the notes I try write down after each class.

Pacquiao...
I've also kind of gotten the nickname "Pacquiao" amongst some of the Brasilian guys in the gym. Yesterday I was sitting waiting for the morning jiu jitsu class to begin when the guys in the boxing class upstairs came down after they finished and one of the teachers saw me and found out I was Filipino then called me "Pacquiao" and now that's what the instructor of the morning class has been calling me as well as a couple other guys. Go figure :) but I think it's quite cool.

Sweet ride...
I bought a bicycle the other day so now I got a sweet set of wheels to take ladies for a ride. Oh yeahhh, they know they want it. It saves the R$2.20 bus ride each way and turns my 40min walk to the gym into a 15 or 20min bike ride. That all depends on how many stupid people I have to dodge around that are walking slowly and hogging the foot path. I have to pass by a couple bus stops each day and what pisses me is the amount of people standing there that see me coming but don't bother to move. When I see a bike coming I at least try to give them some room because some people are ride bikes stupid and bump into you (I should know because I did that to a guy today haha).

Ok I lied on how "sweet" my ride is, it's a "cheap" (R$250) bike with an uncomfy seat and already a pedal unscrewed itself and came off on my way home. Luckily I was able to put it back on. But now I'm thinking of getting a new bike seat, and maybe pedals. My roommate suggested I just return the bike and get a new one from his mates store. I wonder if they'd accept a bike that's been ridden around for 2 days?

Making friends...
Brasilian's are a friendly people. At least all the ones I've met so far, except of course for the dude that mugged me and my friend (I'll save that for another post). For example: yesterday I was walking around Shopping Barra when minding my own business when I noticed a security guard approaching my direction and stepping into my path. I thought to myself "I haven't stolen anything wtf is going on?" When I looked up he was smiling and asked if I was just looking around (I think). Then I noticed his EARS. Yup all cauliflowered up and pretty so I figured I'd met him at the gym before, smiled and shook hands. I felt bad that I didn't recognise him straight away and that he recognised me and was nice enough to stop me and say hello.

Also after a morning session the other day I hung back to do some stretches and some guys were waiting for a MMA/Muay Thai class to begin and one of the guys began talking to me asking where I was from etc. I got to practice a bit of my Português. If I understood correctly, then he told me some of the most important information about Gordo's. That Gracie Fusion (referring to the MMA class I think) had 4 girls to every guy. Time to start MMA classes :)


Looking forward to the weekend. There's forecast for good weather on Saturday so maybe go the beach for a dose of eye candy or Centro for some cheap shopping. Trying to find a store with some MMA clothes.

Tchau

No comments:

Post a Comment