Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pedra da Gávea

The rock...
Everyday while on the way to training I see Pedra da Gávea. This rock has been looking at me ever since I moved out to Barra and everytime I look at it, I can almost hear it taunting me, "climb me Pacquiao... climb me..." or more like "I bet you can get your ass up here... hell no, you won't even make it half way..."

And everyday I tell myself that one day before I leave I'd make the hike up there, prove it wrong and check another landmark off my Rio de Janeiro tourist list. Well Saturday was that day and I hiked/climbed/staggered my way up joined by my fellow gringoes and we CONQUERED that rock BUT it was a good test of our will and endurance.

The view of the rock I get on my way to training.

The view I get of Pedra da Gávea from the gym. She just sits there looming in the background, watching over Barra da Tijuca.


The climb...
It was tiring but after all said and done it was worth it reaching the top and getting that vast view of Rio de Janeiro. On one side you have Barra da Tijuca and the other you have Zona Sul (Leblon, Ipanema etc.) and the rest of Rio. It's hard to describe it in words so I've got some pictures to show you, but it only scratches the surface of trying to describe what it was like.

Some before shots... already sweating a bit from walking up to the part where you actually start the climb/hike.


L-R: Jerrod, Brooke, Jeff, Vidu, Sam and myself


Some pictures of the trails and paths up and this is only the beginning parts.

The halfway point, "Ship rock." You can see a bit of Barra through the trees.


The trail near the top after coming above the treeline. The view from that part gets better and better the higher you go. Literally every 10m there'd be a spot to take a few pics then you go a bit higher and the view is even better etc. etc.


This is the part where you have to "rock climb" you can do it without ropes as it's probably no more than 15m. But it's probably a little safer and easier with ropes. It's amazing how far you can see the higher you go up.



Views from the top of the Barra da Tijuca side and the Zona Sul (South Zone) side.


What it feels like being at the top. Views of Zona Sul and Barra da Tijuca. You can see Cristo Redentor, Sugarloaf and "The Two Brothers" mountain on the Zona Sul side. The Barra da Tijuca side.

Going back down...


Some video...


A view of Barra da Tijuca from near the top of Pedra da Gávea.

A 360º view from the top of Pedra da Gávea.



After our climb (exhausted, tired and a little tanned) at around 4:30pm-ish, probably was closer to 5pm but I can't remember.

Pedra at the end of the day. You feel a real sense of achievement looking at it and knowing that you've made it to the top.

2 comments:

  1. from the zona sul side you can see Rocinha against two brother mountain..from Rocinha we see you too!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i noticed that... i was pointing it out to my friends, it's so big!

    ReplyDelete