Thursday, December 31, 2009

Private with Gordo...

As mentioned in the previous post I had a private with Gordo on Tuesday.

Beforehand I didn't really have anything in mind that I wanted to work on. But after thinking about problem areas (or parts of my game I could use some improvement) I had during rolling on Monday and the Tuesday morning, I thought I'd like to work on creating space from the bottom especially side mount. As a smaller guy it REALLY SUCKS to be stuck under a heavier dude, ESPECIALLY when they got the side mount.

Basically from side mount I was give three options:
[1] Recover guard/half guard,
[2] Turn onto your belly down then get on your knees and work from there;
[3] Bait them into going for mount then as they go into mount regain the guard (timing is important with that one).

I once regaining guard I was given a few options:
[1] take the back,
[2] sweep while holding the foot,
[3] sweep while grabbing the knee. So this links onto

And a few other little things like escaping the arm triangle then getting back to half guard or pointers on how to defend when they have your back. It was just enough for 1 one lesson otherwise I would of had a brain overload. Also the sweeps he showed me I'd already been shown by Dennis so it was like I already had a foundation to build on. But just the way he explained things and gave alternate options that tied into everything made it all kind of click in my head. It's like when you already know something, but then you suddenly understand the reasoning behind it.

I'm definitely going to be hitting up more privates before I leave.


Training in general...
I've really been starting to feel the improvements in my jiu jitsu the past couple of weeks. Even though the vibe in classes has been a bit laid back because of holiday season. It feels like all the techniques and drills I've been learning and doing the past couple of months are starting to come together and fit into place. Like I'm connecting the little dots in my head. There's still a lot I need work on but it definitely feels like I'm starting to level up somewhat. I feel like I'm surviving better against guys I was just behind or struggling with at the start and I'm understanding better the angles and positions and weight.


Also I bought a white shirt for NYE to wear at Copacabana beach. Hopefully it won't rain! And if it does hopefully it isn't heavy. Saw this on youtube:


Anyways this will be my last post for the year. So I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year and that you're all not too hung over tomorrow. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment