Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Copa Yudan Tournament...



Over Saturday and Sunday the Copa Yudan Tournament was held. One that we had been training for a couple of weeks. Everyone thought it was going to be on Saturday, but then on Friday morning I found out it was on Sunday (kids and masters was on the Saturday) so I wasn't happy that I had to hold out one more day till chocolate and junk food haha.

By Sunday I just wanted to get it over and done with so I could eat and relax. This time the tournament was pretty on schedule and we started around 9:30am latest and it was just one fight after the other. I had 3 fights that day, first two I won and the last one (Final) I lost but I was already satisfied making to the finals knowing I already had a medal either way. I think I would of fought harder if I didn't know it was the final fight haha.
Sorry but I don't have any video of the fights, except for the short clip Jeff took, so I'll try get that posted up later but I'll just do a small recap of what I remember went down in each fight.

Fight 1
Weighed in and literally fought 1 or 2 mins after.
- Started off a bit tentative, each testing each other but making no contact, maybe grabbing a collar then breaking the grip and circling each other again
- Finally thought f*ck it and shot in for a sloppy double leg... and got him down but could of done better with stabilising side control or something
- He got an armbar on me, then bellied down, but it wasn't cranked on good enough (and my arms kind of bend beyond 180º) so I was able to escape that and get a side control then got mount
- One of the guys I see at the no-gi class also reffed some matches that day, and he was able to corner me from the sidelines because he wasn't reffing my match... REALLY helped alot
- From mount was trying to work the S-guard (I think) for an armbar but the guy was bucking alot and I didn't want to lose position
- Eventually got reversed into guard and was still trying to work some armbars or kimuras but the guy from our gym said to close the guard and made a motion to hold the position and relax... figured I was up on points and felt like taking it easy so did what he told and I won... don't know how or what the score was though :T

Fight 2
Was probably 5 or 10mins after the first fight. I literally shook some hands walked off the mat, had a drink, banana and a quick breather then back around to the other side and was called up again. Can't remember much from this one but some HL's:
- Almost tried a scissor sweep hybrid judo throw... but aborted mid jumping in and fell on my head... basically Vidu and others kept talking about them in training and other crazy subs... and I went in for a kind of judo throw but half thinking scissor sweep takedown and jumped in with a leg across above his knees and was about to try wrap the other behind his legs but remembered it was illegal and fell and hit my head
- Manage to recover guard giving them my back then rolling forwards on a shoulder and turning back into them... also did it a couple times and got the legs wrapped around but not locked in or secured tight for triangles.. will have to work that next time
- Went for an americana from side control and he reversed into my guard but still tried getting the americana from there for a few secs before letting go... lol
- I felt I had a bit of gas and was trying not to fart but ended up farting when I was trying to pass his open guard lol... stunk a little too and even I could smell it, so I wonder if he could.. made me lol in the fight

Fight 3
By this time I was tired as it was my 3rd fight within a 30 minute (or even less) period. Sad to say I loss.
He went for a kind of judo throw or something and we both fell down... scrambled a bit and ended in a position where I gave my back intending to roll back into guard but he got hooks in and flattened me out good. He tried a RNC but had it across my chin and started cranking, I know I could of fought more but was too tired and knew I already had a silver medal anyways so tapped a bit early, also didn't want to risk any injury to my neck. But no excuses and I felt (and know for next time that..) I should of fought harder, especially when Jackson and Tommy got gold in their divisions, I was like "damn I feel left out now" haha.


Overall though I felt happy with the result. I was just happy to make it past the first round, which I didn't last time. Especially when the guy had an armbar, I was thinking of tapping BUT I didn't and felt little risk to my arm so managed to pry it out and reverse.
I really wish I had of gotten more video of the fights so I could see what I did wrong but at least I know where I need work on and will continue doing that in training. Anyway for now here are some pictures:

The mat space 2 big mats and 2 half mats

Jeff and I after getting my medal ... Vidu and I

My "name" (#9) in my division after my friend changed it on the register forms, was funny hearing them calling it out as I entered the place. Lucky I didn't have to fight Anderson Silva who dropped down to my weight division or Mr. Drive In .. :P

Finally some pics of all the guys at the Connection Rio house, just as Vidu was leaving late Sunday arvo. You can see "Pimenta" (the black cat) in there wanting to be a part of the photo.

1 comment:

  1. your coment in Fight 1 "- From mount was trying to work the S-guard (I think) for an armbar but the guy was bucking alot and I didn't want to lose position"

    I think you mean "S" MOUNT..but I know what you trying to say...hope you enjoying Rio!

    I am returning two days I be back there..

    ~Zezinho

    ReplyDelete