Tuesday, February 23, 2010

UFC 110 weekend and Randy Couture Seminar...

My first stop upon arrival in Australia was Sydney. I stayed for a few extra days there before heading back to my hometown, Darwin. The sole reason really was just to watch the... UFC!!!

Being their FIRST EVER event in Australia, and my travel timing right on, how could I NOT miss out on this opportunity? A friend had UFC Fight Club membership so could buy tickets earlier than general public so I got him to do that for me and ended up with great seats; floorside by the walkway where most officials and Nogueira and Wandy walked out from. It cost good money though but was worth it, if only for once in a lifetime, to see the fighters and UFC personalities *couAriannyugh* up close.



The Acer Arena


People were already lining up when I arrived just after 10am.


Only thing I was really bummed about was that I didn't bring my camera. On the ticket it says no Photography or recording devices. Which I interpreted as no cameras at all, so I was pretty pissed when I saw every other Tapout shirt wearing fool snapping away. Especially when I tried to get a pic with the ring girls. I'm still trying to figure out how to send photos to my blog from my mobile phone, because I used the camera on there, so when I do I'll make a post with those pictures.

Other than UFC I got to catch up with a few good old high school friends and eat some of the Asian foods I'd been missing out on for 6mths.

A pic of my friend "Queens" with the takeaway bag from Hurricanes at Bondi. It looks like we went shopping but it had some bbq chicken wings and half ribs which was sooooo good and different to the bbq stuff they have in Brasil.


Korean side dishes and a bowl of Spicy Beef soup.



Thai food.


Randy Couture seminar...
Yes I was even lucky enough to attend one of the two seminars held by Randy Couture in Sydney a couple days before the event. It was well worth it and he showed some of the wrestling aspect of MMA that has worked for him in fights. I was also very lucky to partner up with a guy about my own size and level and not a TUF fan that spazzes out and uses strength.

Randy touched on some pummeling drills (with no hands), single and double legs off the pummel, using the rebound off the cage to set up strikes/takedowns/transitions etc, some ground stuff with the "cradle" hold. After the training part of the seminar he was gracious enough to answer peoples questions and then sign autographs and take pictures. Each took about 20mins.

The seminar was held at Boxing Works within the CBD area of Sydney. They gym has a nice set up with boxing rings, floor to ceiling bags, weights and down in their basement a fenced off cage area.

Boxing Works
23 Pelican Street, Darlinghurst.
Phone: (02) 9283 6421
Website






With the legend himself.



Also if you're looking for MMA gear in Sydney check out the MMA Factory in Bondi. They got a good selection of apparel and some equipment. I've ordered things from their website before and it was nice to see the store this time. Also it's by Bondi beach so you could make a day of it.

MMA Factory
Shop 11/180-186 Campbell Parade, Bondi Beach (Next to the Swiss Grand Hotel).
Phone: (02) 802 13615
Website

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I really like your blog, great pictures and it looks like you did some good training in Rio.

    John

    ReplyDelete