Saturday, October 17, 2009

Copa Cyclone Jiu Jitsu Tournament 2009


Today I competed in my first jiu jitsu tournament. Unfortunately I lost my first match, by armbar, :( and was understandably a bit disappointed with the outcome. Mainly because I felt I was doing well beforehand.

Although disappointed I wasn't bitter and the loss didn't dishearten me at all. On the contrary I felt pretty positive about it and thought it was a great experience. I wanted to get straight back in there, just to prove to myself that I could do better than I did my last performance. I feel it's already given me more motivation for training AND an idea or feel of my game and the areas I need work on. I've learnt a lot from just that one match and I'm already thinking about entering more competitions to gain experience points.


Atmosphere...
The crowd really gets into some of the matches, shouting instructions at their team mates, rejoicing on a guard pass or sweep etc. but whenever we shouted some 'commands' or "Go (insert name)!" we got some looks, which I found funny. It makes me wonder what the Brasilians were thinking of the small group of gringos sitting in one corner.


Training buddies...
Before I post the video here's a couple pics of some of the guys I've been training with regularly in the afternoons for Dennis' classes, that I like to refer to as the 'gringo crew.' From the pic Jerrod, Jason, Andre, Steve and myself all competed in the Copa Cyclone tournament and I'm happy to say that Andre won his division and Steve came in second place. It was great having the company of team mates there and that camaraderie kind of spirit.

I'd like to thank (even though I lost) all those guys and everyone at the academy at Gordo's (and Fight Zone too!) and anyone I've rolled with past and present. I really appreciate all the advice I've been given from anyone and everyone from white belt to black belt. It really feels like just the beginning of something bigger and I hope to see it through till the end. Flow with the go!

[Back Row L-R] Me, Jerrod, Jason, Jeremy, Andre, ?, Boyzinho(I think?), Mamazinho
[Front Row L-R] Steve and Dennis




Without further adieu here's the video of my match. I'm the guy in the blue kimono (if you guys haven't guessed that already). Sorry about the bumpy camerawork, there's some better footage on a mates camera and I'll upload that as soon as I can. But for now please leave a comment or some advice and let me know what you think :)


4 comments:

  1. nice attempt of the uchi mata throw, nice taking the bacl..a little trouble securing hooks which is why only give advantage for you..he defended well. nice flow to try for belly dow armbar..and look like oma plata atemp but then he flatten you to 1/2 guard..and eventually get mount..nice reversal to his gusrd but he is quick and go right for your arm..i like the match and i am sure your prof can watch and see..but for your FIRST TORNAMENT good job..go back..and drill drill drill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good match, even more so for your first tournament!

    There will be another championship on the 8th of November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys... i made some notes after the match so i got an idea of what to drill on now

    definitely work on my finishes (from back, armbars and omoplata etc.), escapes and takedowns more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey greg revive this blog - Andre

    ReplyDelete